MET GALA 2019: 10 FAVORITE LOOKS
The Costume Institute Gala at New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art is the biggest event on the fashion fundraising calendar. The theme of the Met's 2019 Costume Exhibition is “Camp: Notes on Fashion.” Camp in this instance is described as exaggerated, excessive, over-the-top, fashion. There were several eye catching looks, we've rounded up our 10 best dressed of the Met Gala.
1. Janelle Monae did not come to play at the 2019 Met Gala. She wore Christian Siriano dress and a custom eye bag from Judith Leiber. The multifaceted star accessories were galatic; starting with the one hat that held three other hats on top, defying gravity. I love the the blinking eye; it's surreal. Alexandra Mandelkorn is the stylist behind the first Monday of May event. Inspirations for the theme of camp look are: Picasso, Dali, technology and performance art.
2. Billy Porter is dripping in gold! He made quite the entrance with the help of a group of shitless men, who carried him inside. Porter’s golden Egyptian Goddess ensemble, was designed by the Blonds. Porter accessorized his ensemble with a chainmail headpiece, golden crown, as well as matching gold Giuseppe Zanotti shoes. He completed his looks with golden makeup and embellishments. The Cleopatra segment of '70s Diana Ross vehicle, Mahogany! inspired the look.
3. Lady Gaga arrived to the carpet in a gigantic pink Brandon Maxwell gown. Gaga then proceeded to have FOUR live outfit changes on the red carpet complete with a Judith Leiber cell phone purse.
4. Ciara bodied this green embellished with ostrich feathers Brandon Maxwell gown. Paired with matching embellished gloves, belt and choker. Loving the Diana Ross inspired hair.
5. Lupita Nyong'o wore Atelier Versace gown with neon rainbow wings and a matching fan, plus archival Bulgari gems and combs in her hair.
6. Cardi B wore about ten feet of tulle and silk organza of Thom Browne look, topped with 30,000 burned and dyed coque feathers—accented by a bugle-beaded Stephen Jones headpiece.
7. Katy Perry donned Moschino by Jeremy Scott outfit to the 2019 Met Gala. The outfit is also a working Swarovski crystal chandelier; paired with bow-topped heeled pumps.
8. Regina Hall wore a Dapper Dan x Gucci gown to the Met Gala
9. Saoirse Ronan donned this fire-breathing dress by Gucci.
10. Celine Dion donned an Oscar de la Renta dazzling gown; Styled by Law Roach. The look was inspired by the glitzy costumes of the Ziegfeld Follies. The gown was constructed from 18 panels, hand-beaded by 52 master embroiderers over a total of 3,000 hours and weighs over 22 pounds.
Honorable Mentions: Serena Williams in Versace; Gigi Hadid in Michael Kors; Dwyane Wade & Gabrielle Union in Dundas.